Friday, November 25, 2005

Guests

My brother and his wife came out to visit my kids and spend Thanksgiving with us. Others had asked if I was concerned about my brother coming out because of his drinking and the answer was no. I know one day my brother and I will be sitting next to each other at a meeting. He came out and didn't drink alcohol or use at all. He respects my decision on getting sober. It was almost two years when he saw his brother dying in front of his eyes. He and the rest of my family felt hopeless. He was the first of any family member I have seen since sobriety. They all want to see me, but I am just not ready yet. Anyways we went out to dinner and afterwards my brother and his wife said they couldn't believe how much fun we had without drinking. That was shocking to me, because I still somehow want to believe the only way to have fun is to drink. I need to remember that it takes time getting use to my new skin.

2 comments:

One Drunk to Another said...

Congrats on a sober holiday and a sober family encounter! They get easier...

dAAve said...

From Day #1, the only way for us to have fun is NOT to drink. That's just the way it is.
Good on ya.
Progress.