Sunday, November 27, 2005

Urge To Drink

My wife asked me to go to the drug store to get a prescription filled. I gave the prescription to the clerk and she told me that is was going to be around 20 minutes to fill, so I waited. After a few minutes I began to wander around and some how ended up in the liquor aisle. I began to think how nice it would to have a sip of scotch and maybe a crown and coke etc. I felt I could handle just one, but that thought only lasted a second. I realized that just one wouldn't do, I needed more. All the responsibilities that I have worked so hard to regain were slowly dwindling to nothing. I felt this stone wall and foundation crumbling at my feet. I felt uncomfortable and took a picture instead of a drink and walk away. I picked up the prescription and went home. As I opened my front door the house was filled with kids it was my son's birthday party, he is now 4 years old.

5 comments:

JJ said...

I too am glad to hear you didn't drink. I'll be updating my blog soon and would love to add you in my links. That o.k.?
I see you,
JJ

Trudging said...

1)Happy Birtday to the little guy.
2)Wow, the sell booze in drug store in CA?
3)I am glad that you did not drink too. Hang in there.

dAAve said...

Always play that tape through BEFORE taking the drink.

Be proud. Dad.

One Drunk to Another said...

It's amazing how that insanity can return at any moment. Your story reminded me of the one in the Big Book where the guy is just having lunch and suddenly, out of nowhere, he decides a shot with some milk would be a good idea. Cunning, baffling, and powerful...

Of course, this is why my sponsor's number is on speed dial on my cell phone. Just in case.

Mary Christine said...

Thanks so much for visiting my blog today. I am so glad you didn't drink. We need each other so very much.