Saturday, March 11, 2006

Lost

Looking back almost all of my life was drinking or using. I was 13 years old and was dealing drugs. This opportunity came to me thru a guy who liked my older sister. I use to break up pounds of pot in my bedroom for distribution. I used the money to support my habit and to buy food for my brothers and sisters. We didn't have food, because my dad wouldn't give us the money to buy food. My mom was always gone when we were kids. She use to spend most of her day and night looking for my drunk father. We lived in very nice home and basically were considered well off. The problem was that was all a front my my fathers alcoholic ego. I then began drinking and that went on through high school and college. Passing out in yards parks and sporting events. I then began my quest of serious drinking, that's is when alcohol becomes your life and your god. You would protect it with lies, theft, and even death. The wreckage begins to pile up as though you lived in a massive junk yard. For me my life was unraveling at a fast past even if it was years. My family members only watched as they saw their husband, and brother dying in front of them. They could do nothing. I have been sober almost two years now. My life has never been better. I love my wife and kids and my brother and sisters and my mom. Every day I become stronger mentally and physically. It takes a while to regain your faculties after years of abuse. I owe my sobriety to God and AA.

5 comments:

dAAve said...

Thanks for sharing all of that. A good, honest post.

Rex said...

Thanks for sharing. I saw many similarities. I can only imagine that with every 24 hours we put together life will get even better.

Scott W said...

The best example of one's story told simply and elegantly. Thanks for sharing.

Trudging said...

Thank you for a good honest post. I feel like I know you a little better.

My mom grew up in a home like yours. Her Dad made good money as a salesman but gave almost none of it to his wife and kids. My grandmother was gone all the time supporting the family. That was in the 1930 when married women did not work. Anyhow my Mom did not become a drunk but, she has a deep sense of fear in her to this day.

JJ said...

What a insightful post. You are strong bro!
I see you,
JJ