Tuesday, September 06, 2005

I was talking with a friend of ours tonight and sh...

I was talking with a friend of ours tonight and she said her brother is an alcoholic. He brags about his drinking ability as though he should be proud of it and his ability to drive a car under the influence of alcohol. I told her his joy of it will not last and then it will be for survival, just to be able to make it through the day. Then you will watch him dying right in front of you and there will be nothing you can do. He will drag you down with him not out of love but out of desperation and just plain being self-centered. There is no disease I know that can destroy not only the infected person but also the immune people around. I remember when the down spiral began and I lost control of something I never had control of. I hope one day I will talk with her brother and maybe we will go to a meeting, and work through some steps that will change a person’s life, a life we never really had drinking and using.    

No comments: