Sunday, December 04, 2005

My Sponsor 16 years Happy Birthday

My sponsor asked me to give him a Cake and the Token tonight at the meeting. When he asked me I was a little taken back, because I only have a 1 1/2 years of sobriety. Obviously my self-worth is running at a all time high. When I got out of rehab I spent my time searching for a sponsor. I heard about this men's meeting and how good it was so I went a few times. On one occasion I heard my sponsor speak about his wife his kids and spoke of them with respect. Something inside of me told me he was the one I needed to help me through life. I didn't only have to stay sober I had to rebuild my relationship with my wife and kids back and time was not on my side. My kids hated me and my wife had a attorney and God was only a memory as a child. I listen to him on every suggestion he made regardless of what my head told me. When he told me I need to attend 90 meetings in 90 days I did it. He told me to look a my shoes when talking with my wife and it worked. He told me to bring her flowers and I did every Thursday. He told me to spend time with the kids and I did. He told me to prepare when I traveled on business by bringing the big book and to know where all the meetings are and what time they began. The rehab hospital I went offers a free 52 week program (3hours once a week) called after care he agreed I needed to go and I went. Everything he told me to do worked, and it wasn't my way. Today my life is more than I thought I could have and I owe all of it to one man and tonight I get give him a 16 year token, Thank you

6 comments:

dAAve said...

That's GREAT!!
Congratulations to you both!

JJ said...

What an honor to be asked. You must be pretty special then again I always thought you were.
I see you,
JJ

Trudging said...

That is awesome. I like why and how you picked him.

Anonymous said...

what an honor -- good for you.

Scott W said...

Happy Birtyday Mr. Sponsor. And congrats to you too, sobriety gives us back a life we never knew possible.

Mary Christine said...

Thanks so much. You just brought a tear of gratitude to my eyes. This program truly takes people off the scrap heap of life and restores them to usefulness. God Bless You - and your sponsor.