Sunday, January 15, 2006

Meeting

It was my turn as secretary at tonights mens meeting and I share the responsibility with another person. I felt a little uncomfortable at the end of the meeting, because I had to go to the bathroom so bad I had almost urinated in my pants. Anyways this guy at the meeting just gets under my skin so bad that I think I am going to knock him out one of these times. He really tries to take control and he is so damn condescending that it makes me sick. I know I am not going to get along with everyone, but I should at least try. Try I have, but the problem is that it gets me nowhere when it concerns him. I look at it this way Ego is bad for any alcoholic, so if I knocked his teeth out maybe this would give him some forced humility. Humility is what we all need to stay sober and as a result maybe he will stay sober longer. I am going to talk with my sponsor in the morning, and I hope he agrees with me that everyone needs a good ass kicking sometime in their life. I use to box all the time while in high school, because one of my best friends' father had a gym. I learned humility after a couple of bouts, but in boxing this is a way of focusing on mistakes so that you become a better fighter. Having said that too much humility could land you on the street. The worse humility that I have endured is when I admitted I was an alcoholic to others, god included. My neighbors ,family and my office all knew when I went to rehab. for 28 1/2 days. I felt the cat was finally out of the bag and actually the cat was out of the bag for years and I just didn't know.

6 comments:

dAAve said...

And acceptance is the answer to all my problems today.
page 417 (4th edition)

Resentment is the "number one" offender.
page 66 (4th edition)

Will you change his behavior (probably life-long) by knocking his teeth out? Where do the 12 steps play a part in my actions?

These are things my sponsor would say to me if I approached him with what you write.

Rex said...

I have found that if I read that part in the book that goes something like this....."for this is a sick man and I would treat him like I would anyother sick family member....", and say the prayer found in that paragraph it helps. I read the page and say the prayer eveytime I think about that person for a couple weeks. I find that my tolerance just appears....it makes a huge difference.

Sam said...

I'm reading you say "humility," but I'm hearing "humiliation."

I have found lessons in dealing with people in the rooms that have hurt or irritated me. When I see how I have done similarly, my perspective changes and the lesson gets reinforced. I often need lots of reinforcement of lessons...

Trudging said...

As secretary you can't leave the room to go pee? I understand about people bugging you. There is some good advice about

JJ said...

If you knock a couple of his teeth out will you save me one so I can make a necklace out of it?
Hang in there my friend and sometimes I just tune people out who are getting on my nerves. This seems to piss them off especially when they ask me a question and I wasn't listening.....lol.
I see you,
JJ

Hobie said...

Yeah, just pray for the guy. Perhaps he is spiritually sick. I try to "take a walk in thier mocassins" when I feel a resentment towards someone. If I can imagine how it would feel to act as they do, I can gain a new tolerance for them and a new level of humility.

Oh, if you gotta go, you gotta go. Don't hurt yourself just to be poite - relieve thyself!