Monday, January 23, 2006

My Kids

As of today my kids won't think of there childhood heros as drinkers and drunks. The reason is very simple today I am sober and closing in on 2 years. They don't seem to remember that I ever drank, because I stopped just before any damage occurred. That is what I hope and pray that happened. I probably won't know until they are older. They are all I have and hold close in my life. I have never told them that I am an alcoholic, but the time is almost at hand. They are asking what meetings I am going to and I know one day I will accidentally leave the big book out and they will read it. My wife has books she got from Alanon, but they seem to graphic for my comfort. I frankly don't know what to tell them, but sorry.

7 comments:

JJ said...

When is your sober date?
I see you,
JJ

Mary Christine said...

Isn't it wonderful that your kids will be raised by a sober dad? My kids don't remember me drinking and I am grateful for that.

Sam said...

It's so wonderful you can now be for them what you want to be and what they deserve. I'm glad you got sober.

Trudging said...

Happy Birthday, Bud!!! I see you

Rex said...

Unfortunately I didn't get sober until my kids were nearlt grow.....you have a tremendous gift...the words will come when the time is right.

Anonymous said...

Listen to your instincts, the right time will come.
You sound like an awesome Dad!
Thanks for sharing.
Tab

dAAve said...

We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it.

Tell the truth. When the time is right. No need to apologize for being human.