Monday, October 17, 2005

Higher Power

"What is this but a miracle of healing? Yet its element are simple. Circumstances made him willing to believe. He humbly offered himself to his maker-then he knew" Big Book. Since the Dale ego class is over my sponsor believes it is necessary for my Monday night to be filled. I am back at a bible class with my sponsor. I had been going with him per his direction. I really didn't like it at all because I had taken a religion classes from grade school thru college. I was taught by Jesuits, had 3 years of Latin, and read the bible cover to cover. Still I went as directed. The good thing about going is that I hear the word GOD and not my name. The preachers views, I can disagree with and that's ok. The bible has been rewritten multiple times through the years so that we might understand the words used. Therefore interpreting is left to ones own perception. THE ARAMAIC PRAYER OF JESUS (The Lord's Prayer) ~ as translated from the Aramaic by Saadi Neil Douglas-Klotz of the Sufi Order of the West ~ O, Birther of the Cosmos, focus your light within us -- make it useful Create your reign of unity now Your one desire then acts with ours, As in all light, So in all forms, Grant us what we need each day in bread and insight: Loose the cords of mistakes binding us, As we release the strands we hold of other's guilt. Don't let surface things delude us, But free us from what holds us back. From you is born all ruling will, The power and the life to do, The song that beautifies all, From age to age it renews. I affirm this with my whole being.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm living with my brother right now and going to their church. They are the ONLY ones who would take me in, so I can't (and don't) complain.

We're reading "The Purpose Driven Life" by Rick Warren as a program in the church. They gave books to everyone, and we're meeting in small groups during the week to discuss the daily readings.

I was picking the book apart while talking to my brother one night. There's just so much in there that I think is Rick Warren's idea of how things are, and I don't agree.

My brother thought, looked at me and then said, "I guess you've got a point [about whatever part I was bitching about], but isn't that kind of minor when you look at what he's trying to say overall?" Good point.

I catch myself disagreeing on individual points. I then turn back to the front of the chapter and read the title, whether it's "A Reason for Everything" or "What Drives Your Life?" and try and stick to the overall point he's making. This stuff isn't going to infect my mind- it's not BAD, it's just not necessarily fitting with how I view things. If I can get by the minor details and take on the broader message, I think I can learn from this.

I like what you said about hearing "GOD" and it not be associated with your name. LOL I can't hear that enough. The first line of the book is "It's not about you." I admit I was hooked at that point-

-T