Thursday, October 27, 2005

Recovery

Reflecting on what had happen in my first year of sobriety makes me feel like there is no way I could go through it again. The world was a strange place when I got sober. My fears would follow me with each step I took and would pounce on me at any second. Everything I would do felt un-natural even in the simplest task. Basically the new skin was cutting off my ability to breathe. I remembered one thing from rehab, you have to give sobriety the same energy and effort you did for your addiction. I struggled to do this on a daily basis but as the time passed it became a little easier and my new skin felt a little more worn and I was able to breath. The places now where I walk could become unstable, but as long as I attend meetings on a regular basis, call another alcoholic, finish the steps and pray to God, the odds that I don't pick up a drink are good. I will take those odds.

2 comments:

dAAve said...

And those are very good odds.
The only reason you may decide to pick up a drink is because you CHOOSE to do so.

johno said...

I so identify with this post, thanks for sharing your experience, strength & hope & reminding me.